Bertil Emrah Oder is full professor of constitutional law and dean at Koç University Law School. After receiving her LLB from Istanbul University Law School, she obtained LLM degree from Marmara University European Union Institute. She received her PhD degree in law with distinction (“summa cum laude”) from University of Cologne (Germany). She served as a full time faculty in law schools of Istanbul University and Galatasaray University.
She worked as associate director and executive member of various centers for EU law, human rights law, international relations and gender studies. She worked as international consultant of UN Women and Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) as regards legislative screening and capacity development projects on gender equality. During May-December 2012 she served as academic consultant of Constitutional Reconciliation Committee at Turkish Parliament. She received the title of Henry Morris Lecturer of International and Comparative Law at Chicago Kent College of Law in 2012.
She is the member of International Association of Public Law (ICON-S), International Association of Constitutional Law (IACL), Law&Society Association (LSA) and International Association of Legislation (IAL).
Among others, her major publications include:
- AB’de Anayasa ve Anayasacılık [Constitution and Constitutionalism in the EU] (Anahtar Publishing; Istanbul, 2004), 544 pp.
- “Übertragung von Hoheitsrechten im Spannungsverhältnis zur nationalen Souveränität – Verfassungsrechtliche Vorgaben und verfassungspolitischer Änderungsbedarf”, in Deutsch-Türkisches Forum für Staatsrechtslehre III, (LIT Verlag: Münster / Hamburg / Berlin / Wien / London, 2006), Otto Depenheuer (Ed.), pp. 75-100
- “Militant Democracy in Turkey”, in Militant Democracy in Modern Democracies, Markus Thiel (Ed.) (Ashgate Publishing; Aldershot, 2009), pp. 263-310
- “Turkish Constitutional Transformation of the EU: Europeanisation towards constitutionalism?”, in Turkey and the EU: Process of Europeanisation, Cigdem Nas&Yonca Ozer (Eds.)(Ashgate: Aldershot, 2012), pp.69-98
- Anayasa Yargısında Yorum Yöntemleri [Methodology of Interpretation in Constitutional Adjudication] (Beta Publishing: Istanbul, 2010), 314 pp.
- Türkiye’de Toplumsal Cinsiyet Çalışmaları [Gender Studies in Turkey] (Koç University Publishing: Istanbul, 2010); Uygulamalı Anayasa Hukuku [Applied Constitutional Law] (Beta Publishing: Istanbul, 2013), 453 pp.
- “Anayasa Yargısında Temel Hak ve Özgürlüklerin Yorumu: Düzenleme Biçimleri, Kanıtlama ve Somutlaştırma Sorunları” [Interpretation of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms in Constitutional Adjudication: Problems of Normative Regulation Practices, Argumentation and Concretization], in Anayasa Hukukunda Yorum ve Norm Somutlaşması [Interpretation and Norm Concretization in Constitutional Law], Ergül, O. (Ed.), (Ankara: Platform of Public Law & Turkish Bar Association, 2014) pp. 121-213.
Bertil Emrah Oder
Professor of Constitutional Law